Monday, March 09, 2009

Love among the Corvids

Yesterday (Sunday) was sunny and mild. I took my snowshoes and found a raven nest in the old granite quarry. Mother Raven appeared to be on the nest, incubating. I plan on returning when the snow melts, and the climb is less hazardous, to watch the nest.

Mud season is in its full, semi-liquid glory. The road to the Black Mountain trail was so bad, I decided I should stay off of it, even though I have four wheel drive on the truck. Why make it worse for the people who must drive the road?

So instead, we returned home and walked Augur Hole Road looking for the shrike that a neighbor called me about. No shrike, but the crows were into their love season - calling and displaying - turned on by the Spring hormone rush.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails